The Church complies with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 (as amended). In order to safeguard an individual’s right to privacy, we have created a policy to reflect the spirit and content of the government’s privacy legislation. This will ensure we protect the trust you place in us when you provide us with your personal details. Please note that, as a Church, we do acknowledge being bound by the ten National Privacy Principles as set out in the legislation.
We will use your personal details to provide any personal ministry, to administer your relationship with Berwick Church of Christ and to provide you with information on Berwick Church of Christ events and ministries.
We only collect information where it is necessary to do so to provide a service to you or where we are required by law to do so (eg staff superannuation and taxation information). Without your personal details we may not be able to interact with you or provide ministry opportunities in a meaningful way.
Your personal details are not generally available to everyone. In some instances information is available on an unrestricted basis (eg Berwick Church of Christ Community Directory) but this only occurs with your full knowledge and consent.
Access to your personal information is always restricted to those staff i.e. pastors, counsellors and support staff who require the information to provide a service to you. We will not pass on any of your personal details to any other organisation or third party.
Our commitment to privacy includes our internet sites. We have a public web site www.bcoc.com.au which is available to anyone. There is no personal data stored on this site.
There is also a database available to Pastors/Counsellors and their key support staff. Access to this information is restricted by type of information on a needs to know basis (e.g. Credit Card giving is only accessible by the Administrator and Accounting Staff).
The information we collect
There are many sources of information that we collect. The sort of information we may collect includes:
- Name and Address
- Family member details
- E-mail address so we can communicate with you
- Communications you have with us (e.g. letters, prayer requests)
- Records of discussions (e.g. counselling sessions) – we will tell you when we keep a record of meetings/discussions
- Your involvement in Berwick Church of Christ ministries so we can provide a meaningful ministry relationship
- Records of visits and pastoral matters
- Staff details for superannuation, payroll and taxation purposes
In order to keep your information as current as possible please let us know of any changes to your personal details.
If you want a copy of this information please write to us and include the pastors/counsellors you deal with. You can request us to modify your personal data at any time if you believe it is not accurate, complete or up to date.
It will be obvious that some of the above information which we collect is of a sensitive nature. In order to comply with National Privacy Principle No. 10, we assure you that:
- Such information will relate solely to members of Berwick Church of Christ or to those who have regular contact with Berwick Church of Christ in connection with the Church’s activities; and
- Berwick Church of Christ undertakes to all such individuals whom the information concerns that the Church will not disclose such information without the individual’s consent.
There are other matters set out in National Privacy Principle No. 10 which also govern the collection of sensitive information and the Church will comply with these matters as well.
We will do everything we can do to respect your privacy and will only make your information available to those who have an absolute need to provide a service to you.